Home Index ... Justpeace Front Page
+ Each day we join together in the following prayers, at whatever time seems appropriate. Join us for the entire week of novenas, or for part of it.
+ Each Friday we fast and abstain from meat, and do other works of reparation and penance, for the many sins against justice and peace that cry out to heaven.
+ Each of the seven nine-day periods will have a general justice and peace intention, a short prayer to the specific saint of that novena; each will be dedicated to a different title of Our Lady (relating to the prayer); each will focus on a different aspect of the works of justice and peace.
+ If you have specific intentions you would like to share with those participating, email me and I will post them on the intentions page.
+ Justice and peace meditation on the lectionary readings have occasionally
posted at this website for the novena. Prayer over the daily lectionary readings is
also encouraged. A good method of prayer relating to this is lectio divina. The
Justpeace Prayer Page has links regarding lectio divina.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, (title of Mary for the novena) help the helpless, strengthen the fearful, comfort the sorrowful, bring justice to the poor and peace to all nations; (title of Mary for the novena), intercede for those who serve the poor and the Church; may we who keep this sacred commemoration experience the joy and love of the grace of your Son; may His most immaculate Heart, together with yours, pierced with sorrow for the evils of the world, be a sure refuge of hope in a time of trouble for all who are oppressed by injustice and violence.
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, My spirit rejoices in God my Savior for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant. From this day all generations will call me blessed, the Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name. He has mercy on those who fear him in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm, He has scattered the proud in their conceit. He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, and has lifted up the lowly. He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. He has come to the help of his servant Israel, for he has remembered his promise of mercy, the promise he made to our fathers, to Abraham and his children for ever.
Saint Prayer for the August 4 - 12 novena
Saint Prayer for the August 13 - 21 novena
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.
State your intentions and intercessions, general and particular, at whatever length and with whatever words seem appropriate.
One decade of the Rosary, for these intentions, ending with the Our Father.
June 20 - 28
Our Lady of Sorrows and Archbishop Oscar Romero
(1) sins and structures of sin against justice and the poor,
(2) Live simply and justly in solidarity with the poor and marginalized and be a good neighbor.
Make no war on them, rather, be one with them in spirit, truth, and love. (First Work of Justice
June 29 - July 7
Our Lady of Guadalupe and the Ugandan Martyrs,
(1) the unjust exercise of authority
(2) sins and structures of sin against life
(3) Hear the truth when it is spoken to you. Discern the signs of the times and speak truth -- to
power, to the people, and to the Church. (Second Work of Justice and Peace)
July 8 - 16
Our Lady of the Most Precious Blood and Charles de Foucauld,
(1) for reconciliation of persons and peoples
(2) Make injustice visible -- witness, remember, teach, proclaim, tell. Light candles, do not
curse the darkness. (Third Work of Justice and Peace)
July 17 - 25
Our Lady of Good Counsel, Seat of Wisdom and Matthew Talbot,
(1) for all those pushed to the edges of human societies;
(2) Protect the poor and powerless -- listen, learn, educate, organize, empower
participation, and respect life from the moment of conception to the time of natural death.
(Fourth Work of Justice and Peace.)
July 26 - August 3
Our Lady of Perpetual Help and Vincent de Paul and Louise Marillac,
(1) for justice in the distribution of the earth's goods,
(2) Work for reconciliation with truth, evangelism, catechesis, orthopraxis. (Fifth Work of
Justice and Peace.)
Our Lady Queen of Peace and the Blessed Kathryn Drexel
(1) for the conversion of the rich and powerful,
(2) Celebrate life, goodness, beauty, virtue, responsibility, and joy. Practice peace, non-violence, servant leadership, harmony, community, voluntary cooperation, and the proper
stewardship of God's creation. Pray without ceasing. (Sixth work of justice and peace)
August 13 - 21
Our Lady of Victories and Dorothy Day
1. For the creation of structures of beauty and goodness.
2. Ensure fair distribution, subsidiarity, economic opportunity, justice, and food security for